Such extraordinary sanitary fixtures, such as floor mixers, have become more actively used in the past couple of decades. The reason for the development of new models was the desire of homeowners to swim with increased comfort. Now the baths are often installed not in the corner or against the wall as before, but in the center of the room, respectively, required special techniques for posting communications.
What is a floor mixer?
Such a bathroom faucet looks like a high rack (up to one and a half meters), equipped with a spout and holders for towels and a shower. The device is installed in the floor directly at the bath: at the request of users, either in the legs, either on the right or left side. It is assumed that pipe laying under the floor will be completed during the overhaul. If this is not possible, the pipes are masked along the walls with the help of waterproofing boxes.
Plumbing installation features
Installing a floor-mounted mixer is a very complicated procedure that involves carrying out a major overhaul in the room. Posting of pipes is carried out before the formation of the filler screed and laying the lining (usually tiles), professional plumbers are involved in the work. Plastic pipes with a diameter of 25 mm will be needed: for them gutters are created in the floor, which are subsequently filled with mortar.
A soldering iron is used to connect plastic pipes; when the propylene communications are combined with metal, special equipment is used as adapters. A concrete screed is laid on top, then a tile.
Pros and cons of freestanding equipment
Bathroom faucets, sinks, showers have significant advantages compared to competitors:
- simplicity, ease of use;
- durability and reliability;
- the possibility of decorating the interior of the bathroom.
The disadvantages of the equipment include the high cost of components, and the installation of a floor-mounted mixer also costs a lot of money. Usually, spacious rooms with a bathroom installed in the middle are found only in luxury housing, therefore the technological solution in question is available only to users with incomes well above the average.
The profile market is flooded with products of domestic and foreign brands, and they all have the following types of mixers:
- with two levers or valves. This is a classic design solution for the class of plumbing under consideration, but it has drawbacks: gaskets on valves quickly fail due to wear, it takes a long time to adjust the temperature of the water jet with both hands;
- a product with one lever is more convenient, since it can be operated with one hand. The main advantage of the model is the presence of a ceramic cartridge, but if the water is hard, it will need to be changed regularly;
- Cascade faucets with a shower look spectacular, but in practice they are not very convenient. In addition, the mechanism that simulates a waterfall quickly breaks down;
- thermostatic models are suitable for lovers of practical interior: temperature indicators are displayed on a mini-display, thereby simplifying the regulation procedure, there are regulators responsible for economical consumption, aerator, leakage protector;
- non-contact devices are controlled by a whole system of infrared sensors. This is a very safe solution from the point of view of hygiene, since users do not touch the valves with their hands, it also contributes to significant water savings.
A separate niche in this category plumbing occupy another 2 types of floor mixers:
- Electronic is an advanced type of contactless tap, it allows you to create personal water supply modes, for each of which you can set the temperature and pressure level. Such a solution is not suitable only if there is an increased water hardness.
- Combined floor taps are equipped with an elongated swivel spout, it can be alternately used over the bathtub and washbasin. The model is quite comfortable, attracts with unusual performance, but its moving elements quickly wear out.
What are the columns?
A characteristic interior element, which all floor faucets have without exception, are solid columns, which are fixed on the floor in the immediate vicinity of the bathtub or sink. This component is a 1-2 rack, at the top of which is the spout, in the same segment of the structure is a shower head, equipped with a hose.
A significant advantage of the presence in the composition of the column can be called the high strength of such a combination, especially when you consider that the plumbing equipment will be operated in intensive mode.
The reliability of components and materials allows the columns to be introduced without fear even into expensive interiors, where it is undesirable to carry out reconstructions in the future.
Possibilities of combining mixers with other interior objects
If the floor faucets are not only for a bath with a shower, that is, when you plan to use them for the sink, it is advisable to install such plumbing in the center of the room.
Moreover, the design should be easily rotated in the right direction. The potential vulnerability of such a layout can be a visual clutter of space: users will have to be careful when moving between the sink and the bathroom.
Often bowls and mixers perform in contrasting shades, adhering to the general range of the room. For example, a column with a spout and a shower head may have a decorative metallic finish, then the bowl and podium are usually white. Beautifully look bronze faucets, supplemented with inlays of inconspicuous stones or enamel - they become a kind of emphasis in the design of the bathroom.