Tile for toilet usually requires careful selection, because the wrong color will make a small room and so tiny, and the wrong material cracks in a couple of years. It is important to remember a lot of little things: everything matters, from size to drawing; that it is impossible to put wall tiles on the floor and stick sex tiles on the wall; that laying tiles in the toilet will take a couple of days.
And the very first thing you need to remember is that ceramic tile is placed in the toilet, which has a whole list of specific advantages:
- Biologically passive. Fungi and mold stick to wood and stone, which is quite important for the toilet. In wood panels, parasites can also be turned on, linoleum can be covered with fungus. The tile is used even in medical institutions.
- Does not cause allergies. Wood can affect a sensitive body, as well as a variety of materials that have plastic in their composition. With tiles such a problem does not arise.
- Resistant to moisture. Ceramic tile for the toilet is also an excellent solution - even if the indoor pipe breaks through, nothing will happen on the floor or on the walls.
- Easy to clean. Finishing the toilet tiles allows you to forget about the difficulties that are required when caring for wood or natural stone. It is enough from time to time to wipe it with a wet rag with soapy water - and everything will be clean and shining like on the first day of installation.
- Durable and poorly abraded. Even if you walk on it every day - and the floor tile for the toilet is meant to be walked all the time - it does not change its properties, does not lose color, and does not izotretsya.
- Resistant to fire. If there is a smoker in the family, tile for the toilet will be a great solution also because it will make the fire completely incredible. Ceramics does not burn and is generally insensitive to temperatures.
- Aesthetics. Options for finishing the toilet tiles are truly endless, since there are a huge number of types of it. Different colors, sizes, textures - all this allows you to experiment endlessly with design solutions.
Of course, ceramic tile has a disadvantage - it is quite fragile, and if you drop something heavy on it, especially from a certain height, it will crack. It also requires careful styling - even a person who has not been involved in repairing life can conduct the process, but he will have to spend a lot of time and invest in this effort. However, you first need to decide how to choose a tile for the toilet.
How to lay tiles in the toilet: types, colors, ways of laying and their combinations
Laying tiles on the floor in the toilet is a kind of art that requires a creative approach and possession of all the variety of information about what kind of tile it is, how it looks, how it can be laid and how it all fits together.
So, the ceramic tile happens:
- Maolika Light, double-burned tile, which is durable.
- Terralya. Also light tile, which is fired twice, but made from more expensive raw materials. By itself, it is white, covered with color during the firing process and covered with only one layer of coating after. Very bright, saturated color.
- Cotto. A heavy tile that is not glazed and therefore has the color of baked clay — different shades of red, red, brown. Its surface is porous, the edges are uneven.
- Porcelain stoneware. Also not glazed, but manufactured using a press and can be polished. Differs in strength and the fact that even if cracked, retains a uniform color.
- Clinker. The most durable option, heavy tiles, which is used for floors. It is glazed and therefore has a large variety of colors.
- Textured tile. If ceramic tile was invented in principle several centuries ago, then its textured version is an invention of recent times. It imitates - both in color and to the touch - other materials: wood, metal, mirror surface. It is expensive, somewhat more fragile than the others, but it allows the flight of design ideas to expand to its full extent.
- Mosaic. Strictly speaking, it is not a separate type of tile, but simply a small colored tile of other types, which is suitable for the decoration of complex surfaces: arches, uneven drops, protuberances or depressions. Often is a pattern or pattern.
The mosaic is placed on the floor and on the walls, depending on the material, as well as textured tiles. The clinker, porcelain and cotto are too heavy and are placed solely on the floor, and the terral and maolica, because of their lightness, fit the walls perfectly. In order for the result to look, the choice of tile must take into account the method of installation, including:
- Classical. The easiest option - the tile is placed straight, parallel to the floor. It can be vertical and horizontal, depending on how you target the narrow and wide sides. You can also lay out patterns, from the simplest chess and to more complex.
- Diagonal. Much more difficult to perform, because you have to buy a triangular tile and a half tile that will fit on the sides, but the result is worth it. It looks spectacular, especially if you apply several colors and do everything carefully. Usually, square tiles are used, but you can also use elongated ones - in some rooms this will look good.
- Brick. A rectangular tile is used, which is laid according to the principle of an ordinary brick wall - there are two above each tile. It looks especially good with cotto - it allows you to create the feeling of a brick wall of an old house.
- Herringbone. The tile is laid in a "triangle", the narrow side to the narrow side. It looks especially good if you apply a textured tile made under the tree.
- Mosaic. A small tile is used that fits to form a complex pattern or pattern. With enough imagination, you can use programs that form pixel images to create a picture to your liking.
- Combined options. Allow to combine different styling options and different material options. They can look very impressive, especially if they are applied according to the shape of the room and the required visual changes.
How to put a tile in the toilet: preparation
Tile in the toilet with his own hands will not look good if you put it on the old paint, uneven floor or the remnants of the previous tile. Therefore, first of all, you should attend to the state of the base:
- remove dust and dirt with a brush first, then rags;
- remove the paint sandpaper, the remnants of the old tiles split off;
- pour a screed on the floor - a self-leveling compound that will remove all surface irregularities, but it will dry from a few hours to several days;
- First coat the walls with a primer (you can use a spray gun for this), then thickly coat them with plaster and sand them, and then coat them again with a primer.
The result should be a flat surface on the walls and a flat surface on the floor. If there are large holes in the walls, they need to be pre-covered with plaster and covered with plastic mesh, which will help to keep the second layer.
The main thing at this stage - accuracy. If the wallpaper can be stuck on curved walls, the wall tiles for the toilet are glued only on a flat surface.
How to put tiles on the floor in the toilet
Tile floor in the toilet can be any - large tiles, rectangular tiles, mosaic tiles for the toilet - they are all attached according to the same principle. On glue. This is done consistently:
- the room is measured, carefully calculated exactly how many tiles it will take;
- the tile is laid out, according to the sketch drawn at the preparatory stage and, if necessary, it is cut and leveled so that everything is perfect;
- In the bucket, which is not a pity (most solutions are not washed), glue is diluted, which is prepared according to the instructions on the package and which can be easily stirred with a stick, and not with an electric tool;
- tile is coated with glue and placed in its place;
- excess glue is removed from the seams with a soft cloth, the surface dries;
- after applying the solution, which will make the gaps between the tiles are not so obvious - it is enough to dilute it, put on a spatula and gently put, removing the excess with the same rags;
- when it is dry, you can wash the tiles completely.
The combination of tiles in the toilet requires imagination and flight of thought - although you can make the standard version, in the loft style, in the ethno-style, in the classical style, by choosing the one you like on the Internet.
The main thing is that the process was a pleasure to put the tiles in the toilet was interesting and fun, and not routine and boring. And, of course, the main thing is to satisfy the result. And if for this you need a complex mosaic, a warm floor or mirror elements - the more interesting.