Have a well-groomed and beautiful site - the natural desire of any summer resident or gardener. To give trees a neat trimmed look and turn a green fence into a stylish element of landscape design is not an easy task. Thanks to special tools - brush cutters - you can easily cope with the overgrown trees and quickly give the bushes strict geometric or non-standard interesting shapes.
This type of tool is the simplest in design and the most affordable. To work with a brush cutter does not require special skills and knowledge. The tool is easy to care for.
Visually, the device resembles garden shears, but is distinguished by the presence of longer handles. When choosing it, first of all, pay attention to the following characteristics:
- blade size;
The most popular models of hand tools, equipped with rubberized handles, a saw tooth and a length of about 560 mm.
Brush cutters are suitable for trimming thin branches of trees and shrubs, or for forming a decorative green hedge from thin twigs.
The disadvantages of the tool can be considered the need to make physical efforts for cutting trees, as well as splitting branches, which can lead to plant disease.
This model is equipped with an electric motor, which makes the device much more powerful and productive, so you can work with electric tools much longer and more often. The only important nuance is the presence of an electrical outlet at a suitable distance, so when choosing a tool should be taken into account:
- cord length - this will provide greater mobility brush cutter. It is possible to solve the problem with the remoteness of the landings in another way - to use an extension cord;
- power - provides quick and easy work, but at the same time consumes more electricity, so it is advisable to choose a compromise version of the technique;
- rotation speed when idling. The higher the indicator, the less time is spent on work and on putting in order of shrubs and trees.
On the tool market, models with single and double sided blades are offered. If simple cuts are made, then you can get by with a one-sided blade, and to give non-standard forms to the bushes it is better to use a two-sided blade.
The quality of the haircut is set by the longitudinal distance between the teeth of the blade and the stroke frequency. High frequency guarantees high-quality haircut (the biggest indicator is 3,500 strokes per minute). A significant distance between the teeth and increased power allow you to cut thick branches, but the quality of the haircut is reduced.
Models with a blade length from 40 to 50 cm are the most popular. Such a tool will quite qualitatively remove branches up to 2 cm thick in shrubs / trees up to 2 m high.
For taller and wider plantations, a telescopic brush cutter with a canvas of 50-60 cm in length is used. When choosing a more powerful model, it is necessary to take into account the increased vibration of the tool.
To give the green fences ideal geometric shapes, choose a vertical brush cutter. Such tools are distinguished by the ability to control the angle of inclination of the cutting blade (4 positions are offered). Models are equipped with a special rod that allows you to handle high hedges without a stepladder.
The devices of this line work on liquid fuel and are distinguished by high performance. Feature brush cutters is the ability to perform large volumes of work. When choosing models pay attention to the indicators:
- equipping the tool with an anti-vibration system that ensures comfortable work and does not allow the hands to get tired quickly, which ultimately increases labor productivity;
- the presence of an exhaust filter system makes it possible to breathe relatively clean air while working;
- purpose of a specific tool model. Some manufacturers produce models that are specially equipped to work in topiary, parks, and allow them to give fancy and original forms to bushes and plants.
When choosing the best models of the instrument, it is necessary to compare the characteristics of the indicators declared by different manufacturers, because with the same power, the tools may have different fuel consumption. If you plan to trim high trees / shrubs, then appropriate models are selected so as not to use additional ladders or ladders.
The disadvantages of such devices can be considered a significant weight (5.0-5.5 kg), high cost, loud noise and the need to regularly add fuel.
Such a tool is equipped with both an electric motor and a built-in rechargeable battery. The main advantages are mobility and maneuverability. Models differ in the following characteristics:
- battery capacity and voltage;
- approximate battery life before recharging.
When choosing a tool, it is important to keep in mind that the more powerful the tool, the longer the work time. However, a battery brush cutter with a large-capacity battery has considerable weight.
On average, 1.3 Ah batteries provide up to 30 minutes of continuous operation. When buying a tool also pay attention to the weight of the models, the noise level and the presence of an indicator showing the battery charge level.
Based on brief specifications, the question arises, which brush cutter to choose? It is advisable to be guided in the selection process by several criteria.
- How often do you plan to use the technique, and how long is the one-time use of the brush cutter. This necessarily takes into account the complexity of the work, the requirements for accuracy of trimming plants, trees or shrubs.
- It should be clearly defined with the level of mobility of the instrument, its size and carrying capabilities. It is important to consider how far away the plants are from the electrical outlet.
- When choosing a tool, it is taken into account that in order to perform permanent and long-term work, high power is not always necessary. Although, if possible, it is desirable to have a high-power tool for occasional use. For overgrown shrubs with thick branches, it is best to use a gasoline powered brush cutter with a power above 800 watts. Good quality cutting small hedges with thin branches will provide models with a capacity of up to 500 watts.
- Often, the removal of vegetation and weeds between trees, at the bottom of the hedge or along garden paths is required. In such cases, mounted brush cutters are used.
- Not least important indicators are the noise level, weight of tools. These characteristics can be quite significant if there is a small child in the family, and the garden is located near the house. Or in the case of the use of devices by weak older people.
- Deserves attention and tool body material. Durable plastic does not rust over time, easily withstands mechanical loads and is lightweight.
Popularity rating in descending order are the following tool manufacturers: Stihl, Husqvama, Bosch, Makita, Gardena.
Of course, choosing a garden tool, you should not chase the brands or power. It is necessary to adequately assess the upcoming volume of work, financial capabilities. For compact garden plots with small stands, a mechanical brush cutter is quite sufficient.
If trees and shrubs / hedges are trimmed regularly, then the best choice is a gasoline brush cutter. They can be used anywhere and any number, but the need for regular refueling and periodic maintenance of the tool should be taken into account.
Electric brush cutter has a lower cost than a gasoline, but "tied" to the location of the source of electricity.
Battery models are quite expensive, but quite environmentally friendly and allow you to treat plantings at a considerable distance from the power source.
Different types of brush cutters make it possible to choose the technique that is most suited for comfortable grooming green plants in each specific garden plot.