Thanks to modern technologies, it is possible to extract maximum benefit from the existing situation of a room or apartment. At the same time, interior elements will look original, unusual and at the same time in harmony with all other details. The niche in the ceiling for curtains is just the element that will allow you to decorate the window cornice in an original way. The curtains attached in this way look as if they are coming down directly from the ceiling. Because of this, the room seems a little taller and bigger. In addition, the ceiling with a niche under the eaves has other advantages, due to which this design has recently become so popular.
Features niche in the ceiling: a description of the design
So, what is a niche in the ceiling, and what is its function? This is usually a small space separating one wall of the room and a false ceiling. The latter is mounted at some distance from the present, already existing concrete ceiling. The main task of the ceiling niche is the installation here of a system for lighting or eaves. In the latter case, such a niche is made between the ceiling and the wall in which the window is installed.
Pluses ceiling niche
Niche for the eaves in the stretch ceiling has the following positive aspects in the application:
- Aesthetic appearance. The niche under the eaves allows you to hide the curtains, which makes the window neat and attractive.
- Versatility. This design is suitable for any room, in whatever style it may be framed.
- Possible effect of lengthening the room when using a glossy stretch ceiling, giving the effect of reflection.
- If unattractive electric wires run parallel to the crown, they are easily hidden in a niche.
- The recess in the false ceiling for Roman blinds allows you to visually blend together the curtain wall with the wall.
- In the niche of drywall, you can install the LED strip, this will create an additional light from the ceiling. You should not worry about the safety of the fabric of curtains, as with such a lighting system the risk of overheating is excluded. When choosing multi-colored LEDs, you can somehow change the color of the lighting. So the interior will be more interesting and attractive, and the room will be illuminated with different colors depending on the time of day.
For the LED system make their own switch. In this case, the curtains and part of the room by the window can be illuminated independently, without turning on the main light. This will add extra zest to the interior of the room, putting emphasis on the windows.
Installation of a niche in a plasterboard ceiling
The easiest way to install a niche for the ceiling of plasterboard. For installation, you need the same plasterboards, which were used when installing the frame of the suspended ceiling. Usually the gap is made at the stage of installation of the ceiling itself.
First, make a ceiling layout. To this end, from the wall, which will have a recess, you need to leave space a little wider than the width of the eaves (or curtains). At this point in the ceiling, you should mark a segment parallel to the wall.
Even when working with a narrow suspension, the distance between the wall and the beginning of the suspended ceiling must be at least 11-12 centimeters. This results from the fact that fabric of curtains, being collected, forms folds which should not be pressed down or bent in a niche. If you make a niche too narrow, then creases will appear on the canvas, it will become wrinkled and it will be very difficult to return it to its original state.
Based on the markup, you can begin to fix the guide profiles for the frame. There are various ways of arranging a niche for curtains, depending on its depth (the gap between the existing concrete ceiling and the artificial suspended ceiling). The simplest solution is to install a wide (10 centimeters) profile on the edge of the gap.
In the absence of this, the starting profile should be fixed to the natural ceiling. Next, it is necessary to mount the rack from the main profile, and to them - again the starting profile at the height of the suspended ceiling.
Now you need to connect the frame of the ceiling and the frame niche screws. With the help of drywall, it is necessary to sew up the internal slope of the recess, you will need a drywall strip with a width that matches the depth of the gap (the gap between the existing concrete ceiling and the artificially installed suspended wall). The strip to the frame is also fixed with screws. Then the ends of the drywall must be processed using a planer.
Niche for curtains in the stretch ceiling is placed according to the following algorithm:
- To the natural ceiling mounted cornice. To do this, use dowels, equipped with a sleeve of metal or plastic. The installation of the eaves must precede the installation of the stretch ceiling. This will allow you to know exactly the parameters of the future deepening. If you are afraid of spoiling the eaves in work with a niche - remove all moving parts from it, cover the box with polyethylene for the period of installation.
- The next step is to install the base for the niche under the eaves in the stretch ceiling. A few centimeters from the eaves to the ceiling is fixed wooden beam. This will be the support for the new ceiling. It is necessary that the lower edges of the wooden slats are at the same height as the stretch ceiling.
- Wooden timber should be fixed in a straight line over the entire surface of the wall. During installation, it must be leveled with wedges. After the support is installed, you can begin to install the stretch ceiling.
Of course, these two installation methods are not the only possible ones. There are several other technologies for mounting a ceiling niche, which, in turn, is possible only with a two-level ceiling, but these very schemes are most convenient for independent work.